Wednesday, August 04, 2004

......i'm takin my moment dadgumit

*WHEW*..... what a day it has been today here at work. Feel like I'm being pulled in all directions. Someone special to me said "everybody wants you"...how sweet. So anyway, I decided to take my moment and make a blog entry. Here goes...
Took my annual beach vacation in Florida a couple weeks ago (wish i was still there) and had an "experience" unlike any other. I was out in the water of the Gulf floating on my little cheap dollar store float. Had gone out a pretty good ways to keep from having to paddle back out so soon from the waves and such carrying me back to shore. I had made it out past the sand bar. I had my underwater camera with me that I was taking pictures with (I'll try to post one or two here maybe). So I decide to stop all my flailing about and rest on my float when I see a little further out in the water a gray fin! I'm not positive, but I think my heart stopped. In a matter of seconds I had a gajillion things run thru my mind. Things like...pull in your arms so the shark doesn't think you're a seal and eat you..be still! don't move! sharks are attracted to movement...will anyone be able to hear me if I begin screaming like a wild banshee?...just how bad does a shark bite hurt?....am i still breathing?...be careful not to drop the camera...why aren't the waves carrying me in as fast now as they were 2 minutes ago?...things like that. I was so tense. My fists were as tight as i could get them with my arms drawn in tight to my chest. My entire body was stiff as a board. And then i realized it wasn't a shark at all. I'm not gonna lie, as soon as I realized it was a dolphin, my body relaxed and then it happened....i pissed all over myself. LOL I got the piss scared out of me...literally. Thank goodness I was out in the ocean water. I'll admit, i pee in the ocean. Hell, the fish do it all the time, so why not?! I'm not about to haul my carcass out of the water, all the way up the sand, and back into the condo unit just to take a pee. Considering that my company was a dolphin, I normally would have stayed out there...but I had been brutally reminded that there were sharks in those waters as well, so I headed back to dry land. And no, I didn't take any pictures of the dolphin while I was out there. By that point I was still recovering from my near death experience so I couldn't have held the camera still anyway.

1 Comments:

Blogger cathouse teri said...

So... swimming with sharks has become a reality in the life of Becka... it is a life-changing experience...
I was living in the Philippines... it was 1985... I was married at the time, to a Navy diver... not a SEAL, a deep-sea diver... they mostly did ship's husbandry... which explains a lot... he was a great husband to ships! ~ anyway, to try to make a short story extremely long... he wanted me to become certified so we could dive together... I'm with Becka... sharks scare the piss outta me! but... I did the deed... and a little later in the year, we went on a week-long dive trip at the Tubbataha Reefs in the Sulu Sea... this place being known for having PLENTY of sharks... so I knew I'd see some... as it turns out, I saw at least one on every dive... and they were as afraid of me as I was of them... and still, I prefer diving with sharks to swimming with them... however, I shall likely never recover from the night my supposed protector insisted I go on a night dive with him... and then when underwater, he proceeded to kill a fish and put the bleeding thing into my BC vest to save as bait for taking pictures of moray eels during the dive... yep... that was a fun night... so when someone asks if I'm afraid to walk alone in dark alleys or visit far away places, etc... I remember... pretty much nothing can scare me now...

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home